27.5.12

It's the small things

When you think about a "world changing catastrophe", when you read a book about the apocalypse, when you hear a story about the probable destruction of life as we know it, you don't think about the changes that may happen to the little things in life. Beyond survival, humanity has a billion little things that gives a life variety and texture. Things like music, television, books, entertainment. What happens to them after the world ends and humans are still crawling around trying to restore it?

Some things aren't important to survival, so they just dissolve. Things like fashion, video games, or children's shows. After things stabilized, we started developing them again, but after 15 years a lot was lost. Some things are not important to survival, but they are vital to our emotional well being so we hold on to them in some way or another. Things like music, art, or storytelling. While we run for our lives, while we fight back, we pass those things on, the songs from our childhoods, the things that give us comfort. We create more, to vent and to share and help each other, we tell stories to help save each other from making the same mistakes, and to give each other hope. And then there are the essentials, like math, medicine, agriculture, and architecture.

The other day, Belle was out looking for treasure and she came across an old radio with a compact disc player in it. There was still a disc in the player somehow, and the radio plugged into the wall with the same plugs as our news radio. When I asked Leroy at work about it, he said the music was probably from around the 1990's. Leroy's one of the security guards, he's about 50 now. Anyway, the disc is red and says "californication" on it. It's weird to listen to the songs, there's a lot of drums and guitar, and the lyrics are mostly pretty fast. A lot of our music now is a'Capella, sometimes you'll find someone who still has a guitar or other true instrument, but most of our music is voice over drums, beat out on whatever is around. The music on the disc is different in sound, but the words are pretty common. A lot of disappointment in the way life goes, a lot of hope about the beauty of life, and as always sex and government. She's listened to it with me a few times, I don't think she really gets it, because the lyrics don't make sense a lot of times, but some of those nonsensical phrases are similar to some that my mother said when I was growing up. I think maybe she listened to this music when she was younger. I listen to that disc almost every day, and think about my family and wonder who and what I'd be if things were different.

No matter what I imagine, though, when I open my eyes, I'm still Dahlia Linz, biologist, surrogate mother, searching for a cure for the end of humanity, and every day it seems more and more like I'm going to fail.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I like how you mentioned that those lyrics don't always make sense

    ReplyDelete