10.1.13

All about Z-stalkers and Art

I took that last picture while I was in the lab our first day back. When I had left, I had three, fairly functional Infecteds, still just barely moving their eyes they were so fresh. The boys who had brought them and sold them to me were maybe fifteen, but the dark circles under their eyes belied their true age. Three brothers, all in early to mid teens, who snatched up straggling infected and sold them to researchers like me. Z-stalkers is the name people like that call themselves. They call the infected before turning ZPlus-es and after turning just Z. As in zombie. Which is exactly what the government didn't want people to call them. But, you know how it goes. Can't force the horse to drink, right?

So anyway, these Z-stalkers claimed that they knew how to tell when you had a strong Z+ or a weak one. They said strong Z+'s can hold off the virus and weak ones turned faster (which is medically true, if you have type O blood, for some reason you are born able to produce the antibody, though even some O's can be weak in this sense, so it's really tricky to be able to see it before either a blood test or their turning) and they said that they only killed weak Z+'s so they were only going to sell me the "strong shit."

What I got were two strong ones and a weakling, of course the time difference is really only a span of about 4 days, it was enough for the weak one to turn with enough time to kill the other two who were still just suffering the disease. So when I got home, the weakling was turned, and hungry, and pissed. Which meant we needed the whole team to exterminate her. Luckily she wasn't strong enough anymore to break through the glass. That would have been a shitty night in Sterile.

Well, I got the picture of her before they came in and put her out. I took pictures of the destroyed ones, too. She had cleaned their bones pretty well, so I kept them to study, and took pictures just for some kind of recordable documentation of the event for my journals. And I took that photo because, well, I don't know, I guess I just needed to capture that moment. My mother always used to call herself an artist, and for many years I thought I was, too, but when my brother died, I started having trouble thinking of anything beautiful, and then of anything at all besides work, so I gave up on art. Maybe something in my life is bringing back that spark to create and capture the world around me? Belle, maybe, because I care so much for her, like I've got a little sister, a sibling again. Or perhaps John, because he cares so much for me, and my emotional wellbeing...?

1 comment: